JB Webb — Beat the Wind by Leaving Early

This one is going to be a little difficult for local working fishermen to do. We seem to be caught in a series of windy days, and I mean windy, especially in the afternoon after a late morning that has run out of steam.

It seems that the early morning finds the wind calm or at least with a little breeze. After Charlie said he had to drive a family member to the doctor and couldn’t go fishing, I did. When the girls and I got to the boat ramp, the lake was barely wavy with almost no wind. Back home and already plugged in, let the pups in through the front door and out the back.

Tombstone and I were greeted by a friendly lake. I was on the water at 7:15 a.m. Now the guides were already gone. Best to fish early before the winds pick up, but they didn’t let any of those windy days keep them out of the water, even in the afternoon for some of them. them.

It’s the windy days like we have now that make me happy, I stopped guiding. Going back to the beginning, it’s hard for working people to get in the water as early as me, quit and be home in no time. For me, early is the best time to wet a hook.

Tuesday after unloading, I was tickled; the water was 76 degrees; the hour of high water had come. Over the winter I had bought lures from the Pradco paint shop to try them out. While I had new color crankbaits that had worked for me this winter.

The paint shop made a bait I’ve wanted for a while. I had gotten them earlier but they were Top-water baits and I had to wait. Tuesday morning I had my favorite P50 Rebel Pop R in silver and black on one rod and one of the new Heddon Super Spook Jr. BoYos on the other.

These lures are in the Academy and you need to give them a look. I like to play with lures, this bait has a big hook on it. I changed them for smaller hooks. While the big hooks are super sharp, I feel like I can get better penetration with a lighter metal hook because it’s easier to penetrate a lip.

It was a perfect day for deep sea fishing, just a little ripple on the water and clouds on my first stop. Knowing my Rebel Pop R would produce, I picked up the Heddon BoYo Spook Jr. It throws like a ball and only a quick thumb landed my first pitch in the water. It was my first chance to see the lure in action; it looked like a hula girl with her grass skirt on fire the way she squirmed.

The other thing I love about it is that it’s a lure that you have to ensure the return of while walking the dog, it has little movement until you start a dance retrieve. It took me about 10 pitches before I had a nice Kentucky jump all over the place. Shortly after, another Kentucky came with him on the boat.

It could have hurt, me not the fish, because I lifted it into the boat, the lure came out and snagged on my shirt shoulder almost in my neck. Letting the BoYo rest, I put my Rebel Pop R to work. Passing to another rocky point on the shore, my Pop R got about two pounds bass in the boat. I then fished out part of the shore with some driftwood on it.

Picking up my rod with a War Eagle 1/8 oz. Head shaking with a 3 inch Green Pumpkin YUM DINGER, the reason being that I wanted it to fall a bit faster and have a bigger profile. While working on the shore, I saw a large rock or stump underwater. While casting, I untied the line so the lure fell straight down. When I couldn’t see my lure, it started moving away. Adjusting the hook, I put another solid bass in the boat.

Shortly after this fish I stopped at a rocky point, the wind had started to pick up and there were waves coming through the point. Throwing almost to the shore in shallow water, I had a two-pound small mouth, as the wind blew me away across the point where the BOYO passed with another small mouth in the boat.

I lost a few more on this point before leaving. Now other baits probably would have worked, but I wanted to get an idea of ​​how the BOYO would work, I give it an A-plus. The wind was getting stronger so I ran to our cove. Stopping on the rocky point, my first cast got hit by a mid-air striper. Not wanting to risk becoming addicted to these fins, I picked up a rod with a white plastic swim bait on it.

I sat there just out of the wind and caught eight stripes and a sand bass. Add the bass, two I had on and six in the boat gave me 16 fish and I was out of the lake by 11am. That’s what I call a fishing trip.

The Little Dixie Bass Club held its May tournament. Twenty-eight people participated and caught 64 fish. The winning team of Alex Johnson and Peyton Stephens had five fish weighing 16.15 pounds; runner-up was Charlie Keene and Brad Tolbert weighed in at 15 pounds, including the tournament’s big bass at 5.24 pounds; the third was John and Cason Owens at five fish weighing 12.35 pounds; fourth was Jack and Collins Mills with five totaling 11.34 pounds and fifth was Keith Pate and Anthony Pradco with five fish weighing 10.82 pounds.

About Patricia Kilgore

Check Also

Catfishing, then and now – Waxahachie Daily Light

Luke Clayton Daily Light Contributor I’ve always loved catching catfish and…eating them! I guess my …